Thursday

The Norwegian kitchen witch



The kitchen witch is a poppet or homemade doll resembling 
a stereotypical witch or crone displayed in residential kitchens as a means 
to provide good luck and ward off bad spirits. There is some debate over 
the exact country in which the kitchen witch originated, some claiming  
Norway and others Germany but consensus points to it stemming 
from older European customs. Although largely unknown in 
modern England, the kitchen wkitch may have been 
known in England in Tudor times



The Good Luck Kitchen Witch

I am a Norwegian kitchen witch riding my broom,
Love and affection I will bring to this room,
Pots boiling over are a thing of the past,
with my kind of magic good fortune will last,
I'll keep burnt foods and bad coffee away,
For I am The Good Luck Kitchen Witch and I am here to stay! 


No comments: